Friday, April 24, 2015

24 April 2015 (125 days after The Day)

So, through all the turmoil that my little family has gone through I have some good news.  Claire had her EEG this morning and the results are in.  Her brain is showing normal activity.  For those that have never seen an EEG it looks something like a gob of wires connected to your scalp.  You can read about it here.  So luckily Claire was hungry so I was laying beside her and fed her as she had these sensors attached to her scalp with tape.  Then her head was wrapped with a stretchable cloth.  She was a really good sport.  She was blowing bubbles and eating.  We even gave her her meds during this time and she took them.  Yay!  I had never sat through an EEG before and I didn't realize what they do.  In an EEG they try to stimulate different brain waves and they do this with changing the light in the room from dark to light and back again.  I'm laying in a bed with Claire and they bring over a light that is probably a few feet from her face.  What kind of light?  A strobe light.  After all this the test finally ended and she was untethered from all the wires.  They removed the wrapping and started to soak her head with a wet washcloth.  Eventually one by one all the tape was removed with the sensors.  She was back in my arms and glad to be there.  We journeyed to the waiting room to await our meeting with her neurologist.  She was in a good mood there.  She ate and played a bit and then went to sleep.  Below is a pic as we waited for the doctor.

  The neurologist explained that the EEG was normal.  Yay!!  She is going to be weaned off the meds and Grandma and I are so happy.  There may still be challenges ahead but this is some good news.  We sure needed it.

I went to work and afterwards Grandma needed to run to the store.  She got caught there during a tornado scare.  The sirens went off here and I had my entire family in the tub (except for me).  Forced family bonding has provided some of the funnier memories in my life.

 Did I mention that I had dinner on the stove when this happened?  The storm passed, we ate dinner, Grandma got home safely, and we are all tired.

I think I will sleep well tonight.