Friday, February 6, 2015

06 Feb 2015 (48 days after The Day)

Today was a lot of feeling.  A lot of remembering.  A lot of energy spent.  Tears and trials as I try to figure out what this new normal is supposed to be like.  When I was 17 my grandfather passed away.  It was also quite sudden.  For a while I was in a sort of funk.  I didn't really get back to "normal" ever.  It was just new.  I suppose this is the same.  I am in a new chapter not wanting to start reading.

The discussion today that had me thinking was surrounding my interests.  What I do for fun.  Over the last few years I have really forgotten what that is.  My time was filled caring for my wife through the many challenges she had.  As it stands now I don't have a desire to do anything.  As a kid I recall being filled with joy when I found out we were going to the public pool or when I got to go to the park.  I enjoyed riding my bike as a kid and spent hours riding everywhere in my neighborhood.  When I went to college I worked a ton.  I suppose I just enjoyed my classes in college.  I did enjoy band.  Both in high school and college I played in the jazz bands and enjoyed playing.  Recently I started playing again and remembered the fun that came from that.  The music I enjoy involves more than one player so perhaps I need to find other saxophonists to start playing with.  I don't know.  Finding personal joy is something that may take a moment for me.  I have joy in my family but as I experienced yesterday I need to find something that is just me or I may fall apart when other life events occur.

Well, another day has passed.  Valentines day is approaching and I cannot wait for it to be over.  My daughter Emma would like to do something special on that day.  I'm sure that is a better idea than not doing anything but it is a real struggle for me.

Until tomorrow -