Monday, March 23, 2015

23 March 2015 (93 days after The Day)

So today Madilyn asked me about the first time Jan and I kissed.  It was funny.  It was an accident really.  Nothing mushy.  We were seniors in high school and she was at my home one evening.  I was walking her back to her car as she was about to leave.  After a hug goodnight we just pecked each other on the lips.  It seemed very natural and suffice it to say shocking that we both were ok with it.  I told Madilyn that for me the most dreaded time was the first time I held her hand.  Oh my.  That had me sweating bullets.  We went to see one of the Star Trek movies or something.  I don't recall really.  Anyway we were sitting beside each other and I was working up the nerve to hold her hand.  Finally near the end of the movie with gobs of anxiety built up I just reached over and put my hand on top of hers.  She just held my hand and gave it a little squeeze.  I was in heaven.  Apparently I shared these stories with a silly grin on my face and my kids laughed at me but those memories took me back.  With those memories fresh in my mind  I find it difficult and painful to realize she is gone.  It just hurts.

I feel ready to move on and at the same time I feel like my life has ended.  I have been told that each day is a day closer to healing and normalcy.  For me I just kick myself that I took so many things for granted.  Seriously, if Jan were here for only one hour I believe I would take her in my arms and thank her for all she has done for me and our family.  I would express my deepest feelings and concerns.  The ones I didn't want to worry her with.  I would just hold her and express my love for her.  With all these emotions and feelings I wonder when I will feel like my life is beginning again.  Perhaps I should liken my life to a forest fire.  From what I understand a forest fire uses extreme heat to release the seeds in pine cones so life can begin again.  Well anyway... fires suck.