Tuesday, March 3, 2015

03 March 2015 (73 days after The Day)

Every day is a day now that I am determined to feel.  It makes for awkward moments as my emotions seem as stable as a house of cards.  I'm so very impressed by how single moms live their lives.  I was raised by a single mom and she was able to raise me and my two sisters without us ending up on Jerry Springer or something.  Feeling while I am helping them is tough.  Is it bad to cry in front of your kids?  Is it bad to show them that dad has feelings?  I have chosen to not hide my feelings.  Don't get me wrong... I'm not boo hooing all over the place.  I get choked up during prayers and randomly during the day.  These times I used to do whatever I could to push those feelings down.  Now I just take a moment and feel that feeling.  It is like taking the time to feel a burn on your hand after the stove shared its heat.  Feeling I have found takes patience.  Patience with yourself and patience with others.

Dr. Viktor E. Frankl once wrote "Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom."  This quote coming from a man who experienced life as a survivor of the Holocaust.  I have experienced this moment he describes between a stimulus and the response.  A moment I get to choose how I react.  This is the hard part.  To choose my reaction that is not a knee-jerk reaction.


Dr. Frankl also shared  "What is to give light must endure burning."  I realize more and more that the power of God is in the fact that love is that healing.  To love with true compassion and caring has more power than the mightiest force on earth.  Perhaps this is because our mortal bodies are temporary... but our spirits are eternal.  I believe that is why Christ spoke and said in Matthew "And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell."

So, tonight I focus on the quote in Proverbs that states "as he thinketh in his heart, so is he"  We are all not the victim of someone's reality.  We choose and it starts with a single thought.

#choice #ViktorFrankl