Friday, December 28, 2018

28 December 2018 (4 years and 8 days after The Day)

Today I ended up just doing a lot of cleaning.  I woke up and we had about 2-3 inches of snow.  I shoveled the driveway and cleaned up a bit outside.  Then I ended up cleaning the house for the rest of the day.  I'm sure that is not very exciting to read but it is what happened.  Samantha and I ran some errands and then this evening we took a moment and went to grab a shake from a burger joint here called JCW's.  It was really good.  I haven't had a shake in forever so it was a real treat.  We got a chance to talk and have a moment without the kids.  It was nice.  Earlier today I replaced the bulb in the lava lamp that Ammon got for Christmas.  The bulb had broken so it took some searching to find the right kind.  Anyway- we let it run and he was all smiles to see the bubbling magic of a lava lamp. That made me smile.

So - this is odd seeing that the new year is so close.  It seems like I am just getting accustomed to writing 2018 and now that year is over.  The one thing I am looking forward to is watching the fireworks here.  People in Utah are crazy about fireworks and there are some good places to watch them but who am I kidding - I'm not staying up to midnight.  Nope.  I will go to sleep at a normal hour.  Oh well... the thought was nice.

I've been thinking of why people in general are dishonest to each other.  They may pretend to be a certain way or tell falsehoods to give the appearance of something else.  I often wonder how things would be if there was no possible way of lying.  I imagine what life would be like in a world where you could immediately tell what the truth was before a person could say anything.  I would imagine that life would be very different.  How many times are people dishonest with each other in a single day?  I would imagine it is more than we think.  Even the most simple - "How are you today?" question that one responds "Fine" when in reality "Fine" is the last thing you really feel.  When someone says "Fine" and you know it isn't how many times do we just keep on walking without skipping a beat even when we know that "Fine" is not really how they feel.  Perhaps it is because we don't want to dive into the details with them or perhaps as the person who says "fine" we say it because we don't want to share everything.  I suppose the point of this rambling is we say "fine" but I think we may be shocked to know just how many other people feel the same as you when you say "fine".  I think we could really comfort each other if we were completely honest.  Anyway - as Jan would say "deep thoughts by Rob".

I'm off to bed.