Friday, December 21, 2018

21 December 2018 (4 years and 1 day after The Day)

So today was an action-packed day.  I kept myself busy.  I got up at 4 and started my smoker.  I put the two briskets and one bone-in pork loin on and went back inside.  After I got the fire settled in I sat down at work.  The pork loin finished cooking a little after 8.  It seemed that the day went by quickly.  I was only working a 1/2 day today but still... I assumed the briskets would be cooking all day but that wasn't the case.  I took them off about 1:30 pm.  The briskets cooked at about 34 min/lb which is really weird as they normally cook at about 60 min/lb.  The temp was the same.  Everything was normal.  It just cooked fast.  It was really really weird.  I thought my thermometer was acting up but I have two different kinds and it read the same temp on both so I took them off the smoker and put them in the cooler for a few hours and then cleaned up and took a nap.

When I woke up Emma, Madilyn, Claire, and a few of their friends were watching some Christmas show in the living room.  I decided to start the clean-up process of using my smoker and got the dishes done.  Claire was acting a little cranky so I brought her into the kitchen with me and I fed her some of her remaining birthday cake.  I pulled out the briskets from the cooler and cut a small piece to test.  I asked Claire if she wanted a piece and she nodded.  I brought it over to her with some home made BBQ sauce and she gobbled it up.  They both tasted just fine.  I went ahead and got the briskets in the fridge and finished cleaning up.

I went on a date with Samantha tonight.  We just went to eat Indian food and we just enjoyed it.  I found that I tend to like spicy food more and more.  I think that is odd as when I was growing up I wasn't a fan.  Today is a bit different.  Both Samantha and I order "medium" when we eat Indian food but tonight it wasn't very spicy.  She said it was probably because I put so much red pepper flakes on my food.  It is true.  I do.  I think my taste buds are checking out because things just are not that spicy to me these days.

We ran some errands and stopped off at Baskin Robins (haven't been there since I was a kid) and got a couple of scoops of ice cream.  It was good.  We ended up back at the house and watched Groundhog Day with Bill Murray.  And after the movie I am in bed about to turn off the lights.

I'm so thankful for my kids.  They are all so different.  I never thought I would be a step parent in a million years but here I am.  I am so thankful to play a part in my step-children's lives.  I'm thankful that Samantha and I are on this journey together.  It is good.  Life sometimes is filled with manure but it seems for me that the manure helps eventually for good things to take root and grow.  I miss Jan.  Every day I miss her but I also feel so very blessed to have my family now.  I find myself in an odd situation loving two women.  I am grateful that they both help me to be a better me.  I love them both.

Until later -