Friday, September 4, 2015

03 Sept 2015 (257 days after The Day)

I did something that hasn't been done since Jan left.... I cleaned the house.  Not just picking up - I'm talking full bore, take the gloves off... and get down to business.  At the end of the day everyone was exhausted but as I walked through the house there was one feeling I had not felt in a while.  Peace.

This journey of grief has been so difficult .... mainly because I find that I act like a 5 yr old who is looking at medicine they don't want to take.  It is a bitter cup.  I stared at this cup and said no.  I stared with the desire to somehow avoid partaking of it.  I've tasted some nasty flavors of medicine in my life but grief takes the cake.  Once I buckled up and partook I felt my life crumble.  Like death was swallowing me up.  I wished for it to just take me.  It is interesting though - this drink did one amazing thing.  I was humbled.  Through humility I learned much about myself and Jan.  I learned what I am capable of and that I am not alone.  So many people have gone through this.  I also learned that God has been there in my darkest hours.  I still weep when tender memories return.  I suppose I will do this the rest of my days.

I know Jan wants me to be happy and desires that I am not alone, just as I would desire Jan to have support and not be alone.  That Emma, Madilyn, Ammon, and Claire can have a mother-figure to talk with.  That I can have support at home and at work.  I made the decision to open that door.  To not be alone anymore.  It was just as difficult to receive support during my grieving as it was to open the door I thought would be shut the rest of my days.  So - a strange thing happened.  Once that door was opened I found another widow who also was struggling.  Here is the weird thing - her family has direct ties to Jan's.  It was as if Jan was helping me with something I didn't really want.  I suppose I am just stubborn... I realize that Jan is still watching out for me and because she can't be there physically has helped me find someone who could stand in her place ... a steward of sorts.  Love is an interesting thing.  When Jan gave birth to Emma - I thought - I can never love anyone else more than this little girl... then I had Madilyn and the initial thought was challenged... As our family has grown I have learned that love has no bounds.  Love heals.  Love sustains and supports.  Love endures.  With this I welcome this new woman into my life.  She has 3 kids... even more love to go around.  For the first time in a very long time - the future looks bright.