Friday, November 16, 2018

16 November 2018 (3 years, 10 months, 28 days after The Day)

During the day I kept hearing the sound of a chainsaw.  This was on and off all day long.  Towards the evening Claire came into my office and pulled me outside to show how a limb had fallen into our yard.  I spoke with our neighbor and understood he was cleaning up a lot of trees on his property.  Through this discussion I found out that my neighbor (Layne Atwood) passed away.  This apparently happened last Tuesday when I was out of town.  I feel horrible that I wasn't here to support his wife.  I wanted to go by to offer my condolences but it was getting dark and the lights were out on their home.  I am just shocked since I saw him the Sunday before I left for Arlington.  Death really shakes me up since I can appreciate being the one left trying to figure things out.

I'm cooking for a number of my neighbors tonight/tomorrow and again on Wed/Thurs.  It will be interesting as it is supposed to snow tonight.  yay.  Last time I cooked the temps outside were cool enough that the gap on my smoker allowed a breeze to flow in making the temps lower.  I need a welding blanket or something to drape over my smoker so the temp will be constant.

Well - I'm off to prepare the meat.

Round 1:  25 lb turkey, 6 lb brisket, and 1 turkey roast.

Round 2: 3 or 4 smaller turkeys and some pulled pork (maybe a brisket if I can get one)