Monday, August 17, 2015

16 Aug 2015 (239 days after The Day)

I have learned that this life is full of challenges, joys, and choices.  We have the opportunity to choose path A or path B.  Sometimes our ability to settle on a choice can be difficult if we get into the weeds on every path.  I laugh when I reflect on the 1980's movie "Better off Dead" where council given to the main character Lane Myer on skying is as follows:

Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.

I think that is the challenge we all face.  We know we have to make choices but want comfort that the end result will be ok and we won't end up bruised and hospitalized.  Well - we are not given that assurance.  What we are given is that should we survive our wisdom will grow and our comfort zone will increase.  We also learn that inaction is an action.  Failure to make a decision can often be worse  than making a poor decision.  I appreciate the desire to look from a 30K foot view to see what is our long-term objective.  Once we know what it is ... we embark with the council of "if something gets in your way, turn".  I believe my long-term objective is to have a loving home filled with the Spirit of God.  A place where kids and grandkids want to visit.  A place where family bonds are strong and laughter and joy permeates everything.  Sometimes getting to that answer is the toughest challenge.  What do you really want in life?  What is the end-goal?  How does it affect your life choices.  What I have found in life is every choice matters.  Every choice either brings us to or away from our final destination.  Thus I reflect on what is really important in every choice.  I do NOT want to be an Eeyore in life... a person who drains the energy of all they are around.  It is because of this I have embraced grief.  I have embraced my feelings of loss and abandonment.  I have let go of the old normal and am holding fast to the one truth I do know... the future will NOT be what I originally thought and it is a disservice to me and my kids to pretend that nothing has changed.  My life has been shattered and I refuse to stare at the pieces and say poor me.  I am choosing to make the best of the immediate situation and plan on moving forward to ensure I have a home filled with laughter and love.  What is the hardest part of grief?  Choosing to heal - to not feel guilty for living again.