Saturday, October 17, 2015

15 Oct 2015 (299 days after The Day)

I finally go in for the procedure at 11:30.  I'm trying to have good humor about the situation.  So... when the doctor said "what brings you in today" my response of "I felt like paying a lot of money to get violated" was met with laughter.  It helped me relax and prepare for the procedure.  So after signing my life away on forms I was wheeled to the back where the procedure was to occur.  The doctor was asking me about my family and small talk type discussion when I overheard the anesthesiologist say "I have started the anesthesia".  I was able to respond somewhat to his last question before I felt a cool flow in my veins and the next thing I remember was a nurse telling me that it was time to wake up.  After recovering a bit and being taken back to my room I immediately wanted to get back into the swing of things.  I found myself with my mobile phone in hand responding to questions at work.  So perhaps that wasn't the wisest decision but it will illustrate that I really did feel ok at the moment.  I blew through a number of emails and TXT messages and got "caught up" enough.  By that time Samantha walked into the room and I was able to get caught up on how things were going at the house.  I spoke to my kids when I was in the ER the day before and they had worried.  I told Emma that I went to "the doctor" which was true but I intentionally omitted that I was at the hospital because I didn't want to worry them.  They found out that I was in the emergency room and panicked.  This was the same hospital where Jan was.  They were reliving a lot of the same emotion when Jan was here but this time with me and their fear that I would die was probably staring them in the face.  Samantha was able to comfort them and help them when she left me the night before but seeing her now gave me an opportunity to get caught up on how things went at the house.  All of the kids had a lot of activities going on Thursday and that would help keep them occupied while I worked to get released.

So - you are probably wondering like me... "How did I get this??"  The doctor said it was either
  • Infectious
  • Chronic
So to give an overview - infectious means I ate something and was poisoned... e. coli, salmonella, or some other bacteria has gotten in me and they treat it with antibiotics and then I go home.  No big deal.  Chronic means this was self inflicted.  I may have some kind of disorder where things trigger this type of reaction. The doc took some samples of stuff during the procedure and said he would know by Tuesday which it was.  So - with his blessing I was released to go home.  I arrived home tired and my kids were excited to see me.  After talking with them and getting caught up, I slept for the first time in a while.  It was nice.