Saturday, January 5, 2019

5 January 2019 (4 years and 17 days after The Day)

Well - for a Saturday things seemed pretty relaxed.  Samantha ran a ton of errands and I cleaned the house.  The kids slept until noon and then wandered into the kitchen.  It was a very lazy day.  The washing machine has been running nonstop but outside of that it has been low-key.  I have things happen in life and wonder at times what to write about and what to not write about.  Sometimes my being cautious makes for bland entries.  So - today is a bland entry.

The one thing that I have been pondering is the book by Jim Collins - Good to Great.  In that book he states that good is the enemy of great because when things are good they are generally "good enough" and I have thought on this for many years.  I think this is profound for me because I wonder what in my life is "good enough" that I don't go for great.  I feel so blessed in many aspects of my life but there are areas I think I could improve.  I think I am "good enough" as a husband, father, brother, and uncle but I really think I could be better.  I think I am "good enough" at work but I do think I could be better.  Get my point?  I think oftentimes we don't stretch ourselves and settle for good enough.  When I think what I would have to do to be great it generally highlights things I know I should be doing anyway but I don't because perhaps I lack motivation.  I think this topic has been on my mind more and more as I strive to be my best -

More tomorrow -