Friday, January 18, 2019

18 January 2019 (4 years and 30 days after The Day)

So - yes there has been a bit of a delay from my last entry to today.  I think mainly because I am mentally processing a lot and have struggled on what to include in this blog.  I think I have struggled with how life has turned out.  That phrase is not what you may be thinking.  I was talking to Samantha earlier today and I have just struggled with the realities of how the youth in my home treat adults.  I think I had some idealistic view point that wasn't reality.  I get that kids grow up and seek for independence and want to go and do but I have just really been hit hard with how the lack of gratitude is just so pervasive in their attitudes and demeanors.  I think this is a result of two things -

1.) my tolerance of poor behavior
2.) my children being children

I know I am not a perfect parent and am far from it.  I know it is difficult for everyone to look at their own weaknesses.  Some people gossip, some people are prideful, some boast, etc.  For me I feel I snap at my kids.  My level of tolerance evaporates as I immediately skip to the end and share my thoughts leaving my kids feeling unheard.  "You don't listen" is a common phrase I have heard so I am taking a step back and learning how to parent again.  I feel like I am in parenting 101 now that my children are in their teen years.  I feel like everything I have learned over the past years is not much use when talking to a person who already believes they understand things.

On that note - I have more gray hair coming in.  I feel I have earned every one.