Wednesday, December 1, 2021

1 December 2021 (6 years, 11 months, 12 days after The Day)

Today was somewhat of a normal and repetitive day.  Last night I took a couple of Tylenol PM and was out.  This morning I struggled to wake up.  I was able to get some rest but not waking up is so weird for me.  I am such an early bird that me having to force myself out of bed was odd.  It took a solid hour for me to feel like I could function.  I am also battling an illness so that doesn't help.  

I am a bit intimidated by my classmates.  All of them have serious education or serious business background.  I am learning a bit about drive from Lance Armstrong.  He said something once that always resonated with me.  He said that when he raced he raced against himself.  I have always thought that self improvement is all that matters when learning or doing anything.  Lance just said it in a way that resonated with me.

In July we got Ammon a typewriter.  He is fascinated with them.  For me, they remind me of high school projects where I had to type out some essay and not make any mistakes.  For him it is just a neat thing.  Anyway - this typewriter we got him broke and we got online looking for another used one.  Samantha found one and we were able to get it for a reasonable price.  It is nearly the same model as the one that broke. It is funny how he has taken to that silly thing.  I recall being fascinated by old technology my grandparents had.  They had a hand crank record player which I was always fascinated by, but never heard it play.

It is funny how memories work.  I can go all day without thinking of something but a smell, taste, sound, touch, or sight of something can take you back like you were just there.  If I think about it I can remember the smell the barn at my grandparents.  It is funny how memories like that pack so much emotion.  The smell of baking bread makes me remember my grandmother.  While I can remember all these things it seems my memories of Jan fade.  I think that is what is painful.  The pain isn't with the fact that you forgot it is with the fact that you know you forgot. I enjoy hearing stories that people share of Jan.  It helps keep some of those memories alive.

We had a coffee table growing up that was wooden and would creek if pushed on.  I recall the sound of my bike tires on the pavement as I was riding as a kid.  Memories are weird... when one is triggered it brings with it a host of other memories.  This can be both good and bad.

Well - I'm off to bed.  Until later -