Saturday, March 26, 2022

26 March 2022 (7 years, 3 months, 7 days after The Day)

 Today is a day that was filled with all types of emotion.  It started off with me attending a Micro Economics group meeting discussing a group assignment.  It was frustrating for a number of reasons.  The concepts are a little tough for me to understand.  We also had a tremendous amount of material in this week's lectures and I spent the majority of the time doing the calculations ensuring I understood how to do them.  This led to me feeling somewhat prepared for a quiz.  I took the quiz and failed it.  It was very humbling.  I got up from my desk feeling defeated and headed downstairs.  Samantha offered to give me a haircut so I took her up on the offer.  Afterwards I got cleaned up wanting to crawl into bed but we were waiting on some oranges to be delivered.  Jan's cousin was selling them to support her child's activities at school.  We purchased a 40lb box and it was being delivered today.  While we waited I cut me a piece of cake and sat to drown my sorrows in sugar.  Shortly after that the doorbell rang and the oranges were here.  He had a good visit and then I headed upstairs to take a nap.  I probably slept 30 min when Samantha woke me to tell me we were leaving in 10 min to go to SLC to a birthday dinner.  I quickly got ready and we were out the door leaving Ammon to hold down the fort until the older kids got back.  We met up at Samantha's sister's home and we all piled into their Tahoe and made the trip to SLC.  At the exit of the freeway (two lane exit) we all came to a screeching halt.  There was a man walking toward another car.  It appeared to be a road rage in progress.  The guy was pointing at one guy... then another car.  His actions were erratic.  Then we realized he wasn't pointing a finger... it was a gun.  We heard a gunshot.  We were 3rd in line before this guy got to our car and luckily we were able to back up and get back on the freeway.  Samantha's sister was immediately on the phone with 911.  That moment had everyone's heart racing.  The weird thing was three of the people exiting the freeway (including us) ended up at the same restaurant.  The police ended up at the restaurant to get information from everyone.  It was a very busy night.  The food and company was good.  By the time we got to Samantha's parents home both Samantha and I had missed calls from the police.  We called and ended up talking at length to some investigators.  After we both gave our statements, we ended up watching Forrest Gump on TV and then headed back home.


So - how is that for an event to remember?