Saturday, October 2, 2021

02 October 2021 (6 years, 9 months, 12 days after The Day)

 So - the day started with me waking up from a bad dream.  I don't dream much but last night was one that I was happy to wake up from.  In my dream I was in college and apparently I was late to a class and had to walk in during the lecture.  It was a small class size so it was very obvious that I was walking in and had no idea what what going on.  Suffice it to say I have lived this in real life before and dreaming about it gave the same feeling.  I don't know if you all have experienced anything like this in normal life but it is something I really hate.  Anyway - I started the day by getting my smoker ready for the long burn.  I cleaned up the fire box, loaded it with wood, and started the fire.  That was about 7:30am.  I named my smoker "Ol' Bessie" after the Pixar movie Cars.  This old smoker cooks some good food.  So - here it is 11pm and I am patiently waiting for my briskets to get to 195 degrees Fahrenheit.  They are at 177... I have a feeling I am sleeping on the couch tonight.

I spent some time learning more linear algebra today.  It was nice to be able to tackle a problem that brought so much frustration.  I had to dig up my trig knowledge to solve the problem and suffice it to say it made me smile when I got the right answer.  I haven't used trig in 20 years.

Today was a semi-annual broadcast of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  As a family we would gather around the TV and watch inspirational talks given but today was slim pickings.  It seemed at times I was alone in the living room.  Everyone had different things happening.  I enjoyed the talks and felt a little closer to God.  If you have never watched one of these, you can google it or go to https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org and search for "General Conference" to see what I am talking about.  It isn't like some of the of the "HALLELUJAH! Praise Jesus!" type of meetings.  There is a talk below that is actually my most favorite talk.  I liked it so much I memorized it.  It is by Elder Neal A. Maxwell and he gave it in 1974.  Regardless of your beliefs about God I think it is pertinent in these latter days.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/ensign/1974/11/why-not-now.p1?lang=eng

So - General Conference is both Saturday and Sunday.  So - tomorrow we will gather around the TV and watch again and then in the evening time, Samantha will have some of her work friends over for some BBQ.  

I plan to put the ribs on tomorrow morning and then throw in a turkey after the ribs which we can eat on later.  I think this BBQ run is about 77 lb. of meat.  It sounds like a lot but after we have friends and family over we have enough to last us about 3 months (i.e. about 6 meals) and there generally are no left over ribs.  I guess people like them.  Samantha and I made our different BBQ sauces.  She made the potato salad and will put the beans on to cook tomorrow.  We are both so tired.

So - I suppose I am off to the couch to wait on the temp.  After writing this blog entry the temp is at 180 and it is 11:25pm.  Maybe it is a Lord of the Rings night tonight.

Until later -