Wednesday, September 29, 2021

29 Sept 2021 (6 years, 9 months, 9 days after The Day)

 Yes- I have taken a break from writing.  It seems there is a normal lag to my writing during the summer months.  I haven't intended to be aloof but alas it seems to be a trend.  I find myself looking back over my life tonight.  This reflection is based on the fact that my eldest daughter has left to serve as a missionary for 18 months.  It was difficult to see her go.  She is no longer a little girl but as a father I can't help but look at all my kids like they were when they were younger.  So, I sit here in bed pondering the very feelings I went through more than 20 years ago when I myself served as a missionary.  It can be a lonely time.  It feels like you are at the base of a mountain before hiking and looking up.  It can feel daunting.  Like most adventures time moves very quickly when you are involved in what you are doing.  As Emma is wrapping up her first day I know she must have a mind swirling with emotion.  I gave her a father's blessing before she left.  It was a heartfelt goodbye.  I am so very proud of her desire to help others.  It truly is a sacrifice has the potential to transform the missionary.


I am going to BBQ in the next few days.  Dylan and his friends are eager to learn how and I told Dylan I would show them.  There was a sale at the grocery store on beef brisket and I picked up 4.  Each is about 17 lbs.  It will be good to show Dylan how to do everything.  He has the ability to become all consumed in something he wants to learn about.  I walked him through how I cook ribs and suffice it to say he didn't realize there was that much babysitting on the smoker.  So - tonight I began my preparations on planning the meat and determining how much will be cooked.  I'm sure it will be good.  I have a good mambo sauce that is tasty.  


I am brushing up on my math.  I have a love/hate relationship with math.  When I remember the rules I really enjoy it.  When I forget or mix up the rules, I become frustrated.  Today, I am getting a refresher course on linear algebra.  It goes hand-in-hand with some of my developing so it is good to remember the rules so I can apply the logic to business problems.  I have found joy in studying data to uncover patters that may be invisible (i.e. you can't see the forest for the trees).


Well - that is it for tonight.  I will write a bit tomorrow.  My mind is swimming with the day's activities.  Until later -