Thursday, November 24, 2016

24 Nov 2016 (1 yr 341 days after The Day)

Happy Thanksgiving!

Well - I figured it is worth writing so I don't forget a lesson I learned yesterday.  I watched the movie "Interstellar" last night.  I couldn't get through it.  I think I just felt pain for the child "murph".  Time is a respecter of nobody... it keeps moving on... regardless if you are ready.  As I think on this movie for me it reminded me of how Jan's departure meant that she missed out on interacting with the kids during their life.  I believe we will all be reunited one day but that fact doesn't lessen the pain caused by the absence of a parent.  I am thankful beyond measure that Samantha has taken in the kids as her own.  I don't want anyone getting the impression that I am not thankful or happy in any way.  I just felt the pain for the first time through a child's eyes in what it was like to not have a parent.

Long ago I mentioned how Jan got me an Audible account for me to listen to books.  At the time I traveled a bit and found listening to books fulfilling as I was able to learn and grow.  Because I wasn't a big reader in my youth I feel somewhat disconnected from all the books referenced in society.  These classics were just book titles.  I started reading and have over 50 novels in my collection now.  I enjoy reading a book I have heard about only to formulate my own opinion.  Fo example, I had heard that the Great Gatsby was a classic... I thought it was dumb.  I'm reading the Grapes of Wrath now... so far, I like it.  The joy I have found in listening to these classics has helped.  My daughter asked me if listening to a book was just as good as reading.  I personally think they both have advantages.  Anyway - in a way this reading is like a gift from Jan that keeps on giving.  I really have enjoyed formulating my opinion on all of these classics.

So - today we are having Thanksgiving here at the house.  It is good to get family together.  It is good to smile, to laugh, and to enjoy what life has to offer - both the good and the bad.  I am thankful for this journey life has given me even though at times it is filled with the darkest of times.